Thursday, January 5, 2012

The story of the rash

So a few days before Christmas I noticed this rash on Fin's face. I posted about it on facebook to get advice and called the doctor, but ultimately it was decided it had to do with some molars coming in and it would go away. As the week progressed it got worse and spread to her torso. By Christmas Eve it was everywhere. We were sitting in church and I could just tell she didn't feel well. I started to panic because of this episode of Oprah where Brook Shields talked about being in church with her daughter and seeing a flash of red in her daughter's eyes and feeling compelled to get it checked out only to find that if she hadn't, and her daughter hadn't had this necessary eye surgery that she would have gone blind. I could have that entire story wrong by the way. It may not even have been Brooke Shields and it's quite possible I dreamed it. But needless to say, I was worried. And Brooke Shields's story wasn't helping.

When we got home we called the doctor and got an emergency appointment for 9am Christmas morning at a different office than our usual one. So the next morning, we woke up, skipped any and all Christmas festivities and headed straight for the doctor's office. The doctor there diagnosed Fin with a yeast infection and a strep rash all over her body, and prescribed amoxicillin and two ointments for the yeast infection. The rash only got worse. It covered I would say 90% of her body at this point.

I will now show you a picture I took of it with my camera phone (which is clearly the worst camera phone in all the world):rashphoto

Not good. Sooo a couple days passed and I called the doctor again. We got to see her regular physician this time and he immediately said it looked to him like some sort of allergy. We went over everything she could possibly be allergic to that was new. The only things we could come up with were the new carpet in the family room and the Christmas tree. Other than that there had been no new foods introduced (other than a taste of peanut butter the week prior). He said to give her Benedryl and keep her off the carpet and away from the tree. So we spent the next 4 days in our basement (which is finished and nice, so don't feel too bad for us).

Luckily the rash did improve and is now back to where it was probably two days before Christmas. It's very dry (she screams when we put lotion on it because it stings), and it's mostly on her torso and face. It's nothing like it was, but it's still there. It has been 2 weeks and 2 days since I first noticed the rash and over the past few days nothing has changed. So I ask you, Internet, do I schedule another appointment and have them run a blood test for allergies? Or do I just continue to let it go and see what happens? I don't want to overreact, but at the same time I want to know what it is, and if she is allergic to something, to stop her from being exposed to it. Help!

6 comments:

  1. Non-doctor AND non-parent Aunt Katie says she was allergic to the amoxicillin and that's what made her rash worse. ;-) Poor Fin. Could what she has now be eczema? (BTW...do not look up pictures of eczema on google...it is gross.) Maybe you should take her back to the real doctor now so that he can see what the rash was like before she got the worse rash that looked like an allergy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nico has eczema. A super bad case that gets aggravated by the sun. Yes, my 8 year old boy that loves to play outside is allergic to the sun and wears long sleeves and jeans and a funky fedora all.the.time. UGH. The drama. But, I digress, while there are a bunch of different forms of eczema...this one looks like a combination of atopic eczema and the rash all of my kids use to get when they were cutting teeth.

    Sydney has allergies...to the point that there are times where I want to put her in a bubble. She's allergic to everything (minus the sun..hehe). She doesn't get these rashes, BUT has been receiving allergy shots and all sorts of medication (she's been taking them so long that she knows each one by heart and knows what works and what doesn't work). Personally, I'm not a big fan of all the "allergy medication" that she takes/is given. I really don't feel as though they've done anything for her. So, I'd avoid subjecting Fin to such an ordeal.

    My nephew was allergic to Christmas trees and would rash out and have breathing issues. Now that Christmas is over and the tree is out do you notice a difference in Fin?

    Have you changed detergents? Fabric softeners? Has Bethlehem changed the water source/chemicals? (Nico was also allergic to our water so we had to get Deer Park water delivered and have this crazy filter installed in our shower -- crazy. Apparently, Souderton has crazy water...le sigh...) Is it itching her?

    I'd wait a few more days and then call and hound the doctor again on Monday. In the meantime, you can try Aveneeo baths to dry out her skin and then lube her up with Aquaphor lotion (it's like a petroleum jelly base lotion) to sooth the itchies.

    So sorry that you have to go through all this...and Fin too. :( Hope I helped...if anything to let you know that you're not alone and that you can certainly ask all of us for help :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lauri! I emailed your blog link my Aunt who is an RN and has worked and taught neonatal care at several hospitals. She said it looks and sounds as if this is an allergic reaction and that eczema, atopic dermatitis, are all allergic in nature. These allergies are common, but various greatly among children and that the best course of action would be to stick with your regular pediatrician who is most familiar with Fin and will be able to track the treatment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Allergies to something, which I am not sure of, but can pretty much guarantee/hope that it's not Derby :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. BAHH! Poor Fin!!! Owie, what a terrible rash. I think you're doing everything right, though. The only thing I could think would be to take her to a pediatric dermatologist, just to get that extra-specialized opinion. I hope it goes away soon!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. PS - Weston had eczema outbreaks sometimes as a child, so we switched from regular baby bath in the tub to something called "California Baby," which is at Target in the baby section. It's a super sensitive baby wash, and Weston's eczema completely went away. (It's kind of expensive, though, so eventually we switched back to the regular stuff. But then this winter he's had some itchy spots again! Maybe time to switch back, hahaha...)

    ReplyDelete